Re: Interview question

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:34:38 -0300

It really depends on the interviewer, but I've found that the most
effective interviews for Sr. level DBAs are designed to find out how the
candidate thinks and approaches problems. It doesn't have to be the same as
the interviewer, but show that the candidate has a firm grasp of the
concepts and the ability to translate those concepts into actual useful
answers. I especially value candidates that admit they don't know the
answer to something and still venture a guess based on what they know
(informing you that it's a guess, of course).
So to that effect, asking an open question like "what would be better:
adding a flag or deleting the records?" could lead to the candidate asking
clarification on the scenario or providing the pors and cons of both
alternatives.

hth

Alan.-