Re: Interview question

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: raju raju <rajugaru.vij@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:10:37 -0300

Partitioning?
Adding a column and flagging the rows is not the same as removing them. So
this is a functional question. If the app supports the use of this column
to filter the rows then you would be adding a fast full index scan to the
execution of the queries (assuming they are written properly). However,
removing them would have a big impact for a limited time and no execution
plan would need to change. I would personally go with deleting the records,
under the correct circumstances, of course.

A deeper understanding of the relation between these tables and the reason
behind the data duplication would be necessary.

hth

Alan.-