Re: Increasing certifications on oracle database, could increase reliability on dbas

  • From: "Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco" <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:25:48 -0400

Hi Thomas, thanks
I think certification is very very important,
I used to read all books in documentation, but certification helped me
in some weak points. Specially when I'm not full time dba.

If I could work with a senior dba, and learn the tricks from him, them
this could be different, but because I can't then I need other
sources.
It took to us about 2 years to get the final libraries to work on
oracle developer in a good an efficient way, but in one month we can
teach all this knowlege to a newbie, the possibility to contact
experienced dba helps a lot too.

1.
If some one takes the time to get the certification at least I know he
has a minimum knowledge, in a world where there is people who don't
like to read documentation, is a minimal guarantee he has the minimal
idea of concepts in the database, even if he only memorized the
questions and answers.
I trust in certification as a very positive point. But this don't
replaces common sense, responsability and dedication in a dba,
obviously.
2.
I don't think in certification only as something to show to employer,
I'm interested in certification as a way to get a feedback I really
know at least the minimal concepts, and I'm not missing something
important.
If there would be a certification for real application, this will
helpme to know I know the minimal, this don't teachsme really to be a
dba on application server, of course, but is a very helpful starting
point.
The problem is several things for you are obvious, aren't really to
obvious when you don't have the opportunity to deal with specific
problems.