Re: Increasing certifications on oracle database, could increase reliability on dbas

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx, kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:09:36 +0000

Communicationa nd writing skills become more important when you move into
design and architecture role. I do architecture now and I spend most of my time
writing documents and going to meetings.

It is far more difficult than most people think to write a document that a
group of technical, semi-technical, and non-oracle people can understand. I
find that my first few drafts leave out alot of steps that seem obvious to me.
Then I have to get it reviewed and have people say "I don't know what you mean"
and then I have to re-write it yet again(usually several times).

 Articulation of complex technical concepts to people, particularly to
management and non-Oracle people is very difficult. It's also hard to take a
basic idea and turn it into a realistic and practical design that fits into
your current environment. Plus includes an implementation plan, level of
effort, and an impact analysis.

I think the #1 intangible is a willingness to learn new things as necessary and
on your own time. I am not just talking about Oracle material. If you work in a
system with a java front end and you are doing database development, you should
be able to at a minimum read the java code and communicate with the java
developers, etc... I find a surprisingly small number of people willing to do
this. I think it's because you get a comfort level and command of your primary
skill set and it's just plain hard to learn something new. You are back to
being a novice and have to stumble all over again.

From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>