Re: I/O and db_file_multiblock_read_count

  • From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:50:42 -0700

At this time, we don't have system statistics.  I built a million+ row
table and didn't give it an index.  I then did a select which was an
equivalent of "SELECT *" to force a full-table scan.  My goal was/is to
find the optimal setting for the db_file_multiblock_read_count
parameter.  I was mostly just surprised that it was faster to grab the
same group of data in pieces than in one fell swoop.  My guess was that
the underlying physical I/O (not what Oracle perceived as an I/O) was
actually multiple reads from the disk and that the process of presenting
them as a singular response comprised the addition time.