RE: I/O and db_file_multiblock_read_count

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:38:39 -0800

I have found that I/O requests that involve the same spindles more than
onec in a single
request simply do not perform. It is generally better to hit the LUN
more times for I/Os
sized rightly to not wrap an entire stripe set.

So, if I have 2 disks and intend to scan them with 1MB reads, uh, I
don't set the stripe
width to 32KB. Having the array line up 16 chucks on each disk to
satisfy a single
transfer request is just a mess.

In fact, I generally set stripe width to a value larger than 1MB if the
kit supports it.

YMMV ... this is a religious topic you know... :-)