RE: How to validate RMAN backup

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:13:58 -0400

Amen Brother!!!!

Praise Jeeeesuuuuuus!

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:31 PM
To: oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: aditya.yadavalli@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to validate RMAN backup

On 05/24/2006 10:11:06 PM, Dennis Williams wrote:
> Prasanna,
>
> Don't spend a lot of effort "validating" backups. How can you ever
trust
> that process?

Dennis, it's a matter of faith. If validation tells me that I can
restore from
the tape, I'll wrap the tape in magnets, to protect it from the solar
flares,
and deposit it into a fire-proof file cabinet. You must have faith into
your
backup process and backup validation increases faith. If God can chose a
president,
we must trust it that it will also preserve our backups. Restores are
only a sign
of insufficient faith which may cause you to be left behind and not
experience
the rapture with the rest of us who will be taken to dice.com
--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com