RE: How to store 50 Terabytes per day?

  • From: "Leonard, George" <GLeonard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:28:42 +0200

Strangely enough I think the actual data space is not the problem here,

Your problem will be the redo logs, giving them fast enough discs to
keep up with the data coming in and the same for archive logs (space and
speed), having enough space for 1 or 2 days worth and speed t keep up
with the redo log switching, then a big enough tape system to archive
the archive logs and to backup changed blocks.

Thing is to put the total space together is just discs and controllers
and a lot of funky striping sets and to have the cpu power is multiple
HP's running either UX or Linux or maybe a big Dell cluster.

Every time I worked on a high performance system I always seem to run
into redo log writing speed not being sufficient, being the final
bottleneck... but then this all is a factor of the budget size but def
doable I am sure.

George
=20________________________________________________
George Leonard
Oracle Database Administrator
New Dawn Technologies @ Wesbank
E-mail:gleonard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
=20
You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
Person
You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
=20