Re: How to generate a lot of load on an Oracle database?

  • From: "Steve Perry" <sperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <BSpears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <HELMUT.DAIMINGER@xxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:28 -0600

why not use iometer and have it cycle through with a queue depth. After a certain interval of time, it adds to the queue depth and reruns the test. You'll be able to get the IOPS from it. Sooner or later you will come to a point where the IOPS levels off and then starts degrading. If the backend is a clariion, you can try with the caching turned on for the Lun or off. You don't get that control on a DMX though.
I was at an EMC conference a while back and they discussed the tools they use and bonnie and had problems. They said iometer did a better job of measuring. Of course they had their own tool but it's not available for us mere mortals :)

----- Original Message ----- From: <oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>