Re: Hints

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oralrnr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:52:41 -0300

The answer to that question, stated like that is a definite NO. Not *ALL*
hints are considered bad.

This looks kind of like a flamebait to me... anyway I'll stake a stab at it
and try to answer that I think you wanted to ask (or should've asked).

While not *ALL* hints are bad, with 10g the optimizer has become rather good
at finding good execution plans. Sometimes the optimizer will choose the
"wrong" plan (a plan that is not the best possible choice) but it will do so
based on the data it has available, so most of the times it's just a matter
to playing around with said data until the optimizer chooses a good plan.
There are some rare instances where no matter how you change the statistics
the plan will not be the one you expect, and that's when hints (in my
opinion) come in.

Did a DBA give a scolding for hint overuse? or are you looking for ammo to
scold your developers who are used to "the old ways"

cheers
Alan.-