Re: Hints

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:39:47 -0700

Cases like this warrant further investigation - as with any execution
plan change.  For whatever reason, a faster executing plan was found,
take the time to understand why this is the case.  Is it a stats
related thing?  Is it because the costing model assumes something that
is not correct in this environment?  Is it related to the current
environment resource limitations?

Tim's comments/rants are completely valid in my opinion (perhaps
harsh, but fair) - way too many people just blindly apply something
(like "best practices"), then circulate their "solution" on the
Internet.  Nowhere is there any analysis of the problem, nowhere is
there data from before or after, etc. because that is hard stuff - but
it's these things that separates the true experts from the rest. I
certainly discount "empirical" stories if there is no data to support
the observations.  Then the community spends the next 10 years trying
to stomp out the "sins of the past."  It's really time to raise the
bar and embrace being data-driven.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn