Re: Hints

  • From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:25:04 +0100

There are 2 problems with using  optimizer_index_cost_adj. Tim covered the
first extensively (it's a problematic parameter). However, the main reason for
me is that you shouldn't use global parameters to get around a problem with a
few of sections of code. There are so many other options to control
optimisation; object stats, histograms, system stats, hints, outlines, profiles
and baselines to name a few. as well as rewriting the code of course.

Try not to use the sledgehammer of global change unless you have global
problems and will see an overall net benefit from such an implementation.

Regs

Neil Chandler
sent from my phone