Re: Good books for Amatuer DBA/Middle level DBA

  • From: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shastry17@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:25:17 -0800

All,

> > Consider reading the Oracle Concepts Manual. This will give you a good
> understanding of the foundations underneath your administration tasks. I
> find most new DBAs get in trouble in areas where they don't understand the
> underlying concepts. And as a bonus, that one is a free download :-)

And for us old-timers who started out with 5.1.17 (!!), it is
ABSOLUTELY essential to re-read the Concepts, Admin, SQL Reference and
Reference manuals every time there is a new release. Otherwise, we
will be stuck in the dark ages. As well, one needs to dig into the Db
as well to understand:

For example: Arguing with someone who goes by Metalink Note 423.1
which states that "table scans (small tables) counts scans of tables
that are 4 blocks or less" against the fact that this is now
controlled by "_small_table_threshold" :)  {Note: The review date on
this note is 18-May-2004. Does Oracle Support not have enough people
review/confirm what they restate?)

Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating this event!

And for those who aren't but are getting a day off, enjoy this
Universal holiday.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc