RE: Extended RAC:11G R2

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "avadhanimys@xxxxxxxxx" <avadhanimys@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oaugnetdba-on@xxxxxxxx" <oaugnetdba-on@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:45:36 +0200

Hi,

You would need 3 independent sites / datarooms to spread your voting disks.
The third voting disk can be placed on a standard nfs volume, but if this nfs
server is located in one of the datarooms where the rac nodes are, then you
would still not be protected against a general power failure in that dataroom.

Apart from that, my experience with extended rac clusters is that they make it
more important to functionally partition the applications running on it to
avoid a potential bottleneck on the interconnect.

When using ASM, you can specify in 11g for each rac node the preferred san to
read from.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime