RE: Extended RAC:11G R2

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "avadhanimys@xxxxxxxxx" <avadhanimys@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oaugnetdba-on@xxxxxxxx" <oaugnetdba-on@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:36:38 -0400

Personally, I've never understood the whole idea behind extended RAC.  What's
the point?

Seems to me, you're taking an already complex technology (RAC), and adding
another layer of complexity (the extended distance between nodes).

One of the more performance sensitive areas of a RAC configuration can be
latency of the interconnect.  Extended distance between nodes will only
increase the latency.  (You can't argue with the laws of physics.)  What's the
distance between sites?  Also, what's the storage configuration going to look
like?  You going to have storage replicated at both sites?

And, finally, what's the (perceived) benefit?

Why do an extended RAC cluster?  Seems to me, you could do a RAC at each data
center, and do DataGuard between the sites.  Any reason such a configuration
would not be sufficient?

I've never worked with an extended RAC configuration, so, I don't have any
first hand experience, but, in my view, it seems like a lot of added headache
for very little (if any) benefit.

Hope that helps,

-Mark