Re: Enterprise mangler

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 10:38:09 -0700

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Keith Moore <kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I 'tried' to use OEM back when I think it was called OEM3. I tried a couple
> of
> different versions over the years but it was always more trouble than it
> was
> worth. The last version I used was for Oracle 8i.

OEM is more work than it is worth for general database monitoring IMO.

It does have it's uses.  We have a few instances of Oracle Apps here,
and OAM is useful for a number of admin tasks.  OAM is Oracle App Mgr,
and appears to be based on the same code base as OEM.

Apps is a huge beast, and is quite difficult to remember where all the log
files are, how to check on status of jobs, etc.  Just checked a couple
days ago, and just the apps install has 900k files.

Scripts are still quite useful for a number of things with Apps, but OAM
is quite necessary IMO.

That said, I also much prefer scripts to OEM for database work.
OEM just seems to create more work.  We have one DBA, me,
and I don't want to maintain another piece of software.

> Recently I ate lunch with three Oracle sales people including their
> technical
> person. He was shocked when I told him we didn't use OEM and it became
> apparent that he thought I was just an old guy who was stuck in the past.

Old guys tend to use what works, not what is the latest fad.
I guess OEM is no longer the latest, that would be GC.
GC is probably great for a shop that has enough people to deal
with it, and the $$ to spend on the packs that make it useful.

Also, some of us have developed interests outside of databases, and like to
do something else after hours than learn the latest and greatest 'paradigm'.

Personally, I prefer being alerted when something bad happens that requires
immediate attention, rather than fine tuning the parameters in a monitoring
tool to (finally) alert me only when needed, or explaining why yet again
I didn't know about a serious database problem because the monitoring
tool failed to notify me.

Curiously, this topic seems to come up rather regularly.

Jared Still