RE: Dependency tree of packages/procedures and functions

  • From: "Bill Coulam" <bill.coulam@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <GLeonard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:21:08 -0600

First question is why? Let the DB track the dependencies; it's good at it.
Letting humans do it is error prone and painful.

Tracking dependencies from front/middle layers to Oracle -- dependencies
Oracle is not aware of -- that is a good idea.

That said, I did encounter a similar situation to yours in my early years
with pl/sql where I coded all my constants in a single package named "C".
Big mistake. In the end everything depended on this package and any new
additions would cause a 10-15 downtime when moving in enhancements/fixes due
to all the recompilation. This was a 24X7 application, so what a mistake.

The fix was to break the package up, keeping related constants in
module-specific package specs.

If you still insist on a tree, you may derive from benefit by tweaking this
code to operate in a loop on every object in your database. It's a little
dated, so no guarantees...

http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/code/tips2002/090802.html

- bill c.