RE: Dependency tree of packages/procedures and functions

  • From: "Leonard, George" <GLeonard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:06:05 +0200

Hi all

Ok I  think everyone misunderstood me,

I know the database tracks the dependencies, I can see that easily.

Package A dependant on B and B on C.

Now we have hundreds of packages, many levels.

The developers give gives me a new A, it does not want to compile
because the spec in C that it also uses has changed. But they did not
record this dependancy anywhere,

The problem is not that much that on the target system it does not want
to compile initially, it is the time it takes to figure out why 100 sub
packages all failed because they forgot about the relation ship. They
now have to go back to source system extract that package and ship it
also, considering at the entire time if this might break something else.

The current plan is to write a report that hooks into dba_dependancies
which they can run when shipping a package to see what the relations
ships are and consider if they need to ship anything else that is at a
newer version than on production...

Thanks for the guys that got back,

PS toad got a nice dependacy viewer for source code based objects.

George
=20________________________________________________
George Leonard
Oracle Database Administrator
New Dawn Technologies @ Wesbank
E-mail:gleonard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
=20
You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
Person
You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
=20

Hi all

Hope you can help.

As with all big projects our developers forgot to listen to us when we
asked them to keep a dependency tree what calls what.

Now we are busy going into pre-prod etc and get asked to move Package A,
doing this nicely goes and breaks half the world down the line,

I would like to run something against the database (packages, procedures
and functions) to generate a dependency list.

Any ideas what is out there that can do this (freeware prepared), any
output acceptable.

George
=3D20________________________________________________
George Leonard
Oracle Database Administrator
New Dawn Technologies @ Wesbank
E-mail:gleonard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
=3D20
You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
Person
You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
=3D20

_=3D
__________________________

The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of
=3D
the author and not those
of the FirstRand Banking Group an Authorised Financial Service Provider
o=3D
r its management.
The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely
for=3D
=3D20the addressee.
Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
distribut=3D
ion or any action taken or=3D20
omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and
integrit=3D
y of information and data=3D20
transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof,
n=3D
o liability or=3D20
responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for
what=3D
ever reason, corrupted=3D20
or does not reach its intended destination.

=3D20                              ________________________________

__________________________

The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of =
the author and not those
of the FirstRand Banking Group an Authorised Financial Service Provider o=
r its management.
The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for=
=20the addressee.
Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribut=
ion or any action taken or=20
omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrit=
y of information and data=20
transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, n=
o liability or=20
responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for what=
ever reason, corrupted=20
or does not reach its intended destination.