Re: Delete Datafile and Recover DB Without Using Backup?

  • From: mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:46:03 -0800 (PST)

--- Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another idea is that on UNIX i-node is still open
> and the space is not
> reclaimed back. I have seen that Oracle is still
> able to access a file
> for a while after deletion on HP-UX. However, it
> starts barking at
> some point - don't know what's the trigger.
> Unfortunately, I don't
> know if you can "restore" deleted file while i-node
> is still open.
>
> Alex

Exactly.  That's what I was thinking of.  The file is
still there, right?  The OS now reports that the space
occupied by the file is now available, but the blocks
on disk have not been over written by any new data.

Further digging after Alexander's post, turned this
link up:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1441/sam0111b/0111b.htm

More to the point, Linux systems have the debugfs
command which the article indicates can recover binary
files too.  It states that other UNIX systems should
have similar tools.  More googling on debugfs will
lead into other nice articles too.

--
mohammed

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail