RE: DATAFILE??

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:53:38 -0400

This idea that this list or any list is not and never will be a waste
time, is delusional!

*Actively* participating in this this list (by reading and/or writing)
is almost 100% waste of time.
Be honest and ask yourself if your boss was standing behind you during
all of your time spent participating on this list, would he/she say that
it was 100% productive from a business perspective?...and more power to
those DBA's that only participate during non business hours.

If one were to *only* read responses to his or her own original post
then I would think that DBA is not wasting time and getting much more
than they are giving, but that is their option.

Further, if I chose to continue to read and write to a post thread I
have already concluded is a waste of time, then who is at fault
them!?...and I do not mean just RTFM posts.  Everyday I read the first
post of a thread, never to read anymore.  It might be a very good topic,
or something I'm just not interested in, or something I can not answer,
but I chose not to spend more time on it.  I spend much more time
reading and deleting valid posts that don't help me directly, than I don
on reading and deleting RTFM posts!

We talk about how lame the RTFM posts are, but imagine how lame this
list would be if nobody had any restraint and we all posted our
"opinion" about each post...how useful would the list be then?

"RTFM", "try harder", "dig" are all fair responses, but participate just
don't shoot it out.
I personally enjoy the RTFM responses that are direct paste result from
a Google search.

Thanks to those technical DBA's on this thread interjecting between the
DBA philosophers...I have seen some interesting responses.  This RTFM
thread has motivated people to try things...are of which are likely
documented, but only further validates even basics...as basics
change...things do not remain the same.  I have learned that extend
/datafile allocation changes between Oracle versions and tablespace
type...this consolidated information would likely not be in one single
Oracle manual...maybe in a white paper or metalink doc?  This is the
power of the list.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA