Re: DATABASE HANGS WITH SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 10:07:41 -0700

One more thing:  the OP did not mention the platform.

On windows, there's an interesting thing that happens in a CMD window
when doing shutdown immediate.

The shutdown will appear to hang.  It may go on quite awhile.

Try hitting the <ENTER> key in this situation.

The CMD window will hang, and will not respond until hitting <ENTER>.

It is not consistent behavior, but is also not unusual (happened to me last
week)

I've read the explanation of why this happens, but cannot recall what it is.

Jared

On 4/29/06, Mogens Nørrgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with the other members who responded that probably it's just a
case of SMON having to do a lot of work - and not using old-school
tablespace types. There is one other possibility perhaps: The ugly, old bug
w.r.t. memory leaking and Shutdown immediate just hanging. I think the
usual workaround still works:

event="10262 trace name context forever, level 0"

Again, it's probably just a completely normal thing you're seeing, but it
MIGHT be the bug rearing its head again.

Mogens

Ahmed Ullah wrote:

 Hello all:

 We have Oracle 9.2.0.5 database ( single Note RAC ). There were some
heavy batch jobs running which cuased the db hang ( only sys connection was
working ).

 We tried to bring down the database after cleaning all sessions. It did
not go down with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. We had to abort it. I tried to bring
down the DB three times with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE it never went down.

 SMON was trying to cleanup the used extents ( Metalink Note – *1076161.6*) as
we could see in the alert log file -
*Waiting for smon to disable tx recovery*.

 SQL> select count(block#) from fet$;

 COUNT(BLOCK#)
 -------------
            38

 fet$ - free extents

 SQL> select count(block#) from uet$;

 COUNT(BLOCK#)
 -------------
         *52905*

 uet$ - used extents

 We can share the alert log and system level 10 trace files if anyone
wants. These traces were generated when db hung.

 Appreciate your help.

 Thanks,

 -ahmed

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't
be called research, would it?" --Albert Einstein

------------------------------ New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman5/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>and save big.

--
Jared Still