Re: DATABASE HANGS WITH SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

  • From: Ahmed Ullah <ahmed107@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:03:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jared:

  Thanks for your reply.

  I waited for 30 minutes before issuing shutdown abort. I did try shutdown
immediate afte bringing it up twice later ( waited for 15 mins evetyrime )  -
no luck as SMON was busy in housekeeping. It is no a big database ( 100GB with
1.2GB SGA ).

  -ahmed

Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Please define what you consider a hang.

How long did wait for shutdown immediate?

If there are transactions running, it could take awhile.

10-15 minutes is not all that unusual if there are some
long running transactions going on.

--
Jared Still

  On 4/27/06, Ahmed Ullah <ahmed107@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:      Hello all:

  We have Oracle 9.2.0.5 database ( single Note RAC ). There were some heavy
batch jobs running which cuased the db hang ( only sys connection was working
).

  We tried to bring down the database after cleaning all sessions. It did not
go down with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. We had to abort it. I tried to bring down the
DB three times with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE it never went down.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't
be called research, would it?" --Albert Einstein

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min
with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.