RE: Creating Standby with RMAN documentation

  • From: "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aprilcsims@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:39:56 -0600

I'm not 100% sure what you are questioning then, but hopefully this
helps. When you create a database via duplication it gets it own new
DBID because it is a new unique database. When you create a standby
database via duplication it retains the same DBID as the primary
(target) because essentially it is a physical copy of that database and
must stay that way. The RMAN catalog identifies a database by the DBID,
so therefore you do not have to register the standby. This is because
the standby can become the primary at any time and vice-versa.

I hope that helps,