Re: Creating Standby with RMAN documentation

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aprilcsims@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 09:15:01 -0700

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:52 AM, April Sims <aprilcsims@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can anyone else clarify this entry in the documentation? The part I am
> questioning is the "not register" statement. This is in the appendix F
> Creating a Standby Database with Recovery Manager
>
> "A standby database, unlike a duplicate database created by DUPLICATE
> without the FOR STANDBY OPTION, does not get a new DBID. Thus, you should
> not register the standby database with your recovery catalog."

I have not done this, but I understand their intent.

Two databases with the same DBID should not be registered in a recovery
catalog,
as the DBID is the primary key used to identify a database.

You can register  the primary or the standby in a catalog, but not both.

That doesn't mean you can't backup either/both, they just can't
both be in the same recovery catalog.

HTH

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com