Re: Creating Standby with RMAN documentation

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 08:30:15 +0300

that's true. Oracle has db unique name in the catalog to deal with both

             Fuad Arshad
             Sent by:                  "jkstill@xxxxxxxxx"
             oracle-l-bounce@f         <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
             2010.09.02 19:58          "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
             Please respond to         Re: Creating Standby with RMAN
             fuadar@xxxxxxxxx          documentation

Actually it's already registered as tw primary so you ca n use the same
catalog entry to backup both or anyone and use the entries for restore
purposes on the other

On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

      On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:52 AM, April Sims <aprilcsims@xxxxxxxxx>
            Can anyone else clarify this entry in the documentation? The
            part I am questioning is the "not register" statement. This is
            in the appendix F Creating a Standby Database with Recovery

            "A standby database, unlike a duplicate database created by
            DUPLICATE without the FOR STANDBY OPTION, does not get a new
            DBID. Thus, you should not register the standby database with
            your recovery catalog."

      I have not done this, but I understand their intent.

      Two databases with the same DBID should not be registered in a
      recovery catalog,
      as the DBID is the primary key used to identify a database.

      You can register  the primary or the standby in a catalog, but not

      That doesn't mean you can't backup either/both, they just can't
      both be in the same recovery catalog.

      Jared Still
      Oracle Blog:
      Home Page: