Re: Cluster File System Versus ASM for RAC Deployment in Production?... Pros & Cons

  • From: kathy duret <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 07:43:38 -0800 (PST)

I just came from a RAC class and basically the instructor said the same thing.

  Oracle's direction is ASM, their training is focused on using ASM, their
papers are all focused on using ASM.  He showed us how to install and configure
ASM.  He also mentioned Oracle will be coming out next year with another class
for just ASM.

  He also said ASM is alot better in 11i.

  Yes, Oracle will support the clustered file system but you will get a push
back from them to check with the other vendor first to resolve the issue.

  I just went through this with my Veritas Rman issues.   Three years ago,
Oracle worked through the issues with me.  This last tar they helped me with
the basics and then said I would have to contract Veritas to resolve the issue.
 The will probably be the same for using clustered file system in one-two years
from now.  Oracle will help you on some of the basic troubleshooting and then
you will have to depend on the vendor for help.  And as we all know some
vendors are better than others for this.

  My 2.5 cents worth

Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Personally, I'd choose ASM and recommend it to all my customers. This
is partly because: 1) Oracle recommends it, 2) if Oracle recommends something,
they generally support it better than things they don't recommend, 3) it
doesn't cost extra money, and 4) I think ASM is a fine product that does its
job well (admittedly better in 11g than 10g, but that's not your question).

I think that using a CFS requires training for system admins while ASM would
also require training, but possibly for the DBAs instead of the sysadmins.
Typically, I still see ASM being managed by DBAs even though it really isn't a
database. Many companies have the DBAs manage anything with the word Oracle
stamped on it.

For docs or links, see otn.oracle.com/asm.

Dan

  From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Folks
  For subsequent RAC Deployment in ver 10gR2, A Banking customer needs to take
a decision on use of Cluster file system versus ASM?

  Prima-facie, How do the 2 compare in terms of Performance, scalability,
availability, migration, ease of use, backups, need for training etc.

  Any Docs, Links will help.

  Currently Production Deployment info:-

   NON-RAC with Oracle ver 9.2,
   Solaris 10.
   Database size if 5 TB approx.
   Daily peak load of 20,000 Concurrent sessions connecting to the Database via
Shared Servers (MTS).
   Database exists on the default Unix File system (UFS),
   Machine - SF25K SUN Server.
   Storage Box ? Sun Store Edge 9980 V
   Sun Cluster filesystem is QFS

notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are
not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses.
Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not
liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail.
You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or
attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all
messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this
e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.