RE: Cluster File System Versus ASM for RAC Deployment in Production?... Pros & Cons

  • From: "Best, David" <David.Best@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:22:00 -0500

I took the RAC course a couple of months ago as well.  The instructor,
in between courses, would perform RAC installations as well.   He said
that with ASM an implementatino would take half as long.  ie, before ASM
it would take on average 2 weeks and after 1 week.

I'm not a big fan of ASM for a number of reasons, but it was nice to
hear some real world experiences with it.

________________________________

        From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Folks
        For subsequent RAC Deployment in ver 10gR2, A Banking customer
needs to take a decision on use of Cluster file system versus ASM?

        Prima-facie, How do the 2 compare in terms of Performance,
scalability, availability, migration, ease of use, backups, need for
training etc.

        Any Docs, Links will help.

        Currently Production Deployment info:-

        *       NON-RAC with Oracle ver 9.2,
        *       Solaris 10.
        *       Database size if 5 TB approx.
        *       Daily peak load of 20,000 Concurrent sessions connecting
to the Database via Shared Servers (MTS).
        *       Database exists on the default Unix File system (UFS),
        *       Machine - SF25K SUN Server.
        *       Storage Box - Sun Store Edge 9980 V
        *       Sun Cluster filesystem is QFS

This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original
message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this
e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are
unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every
reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You
should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or
attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content
of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or
from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.

it now.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i6
2sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>