Re: Cluster File System Versus ASM for RAC Deployment in Production?... Pros & Cons

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 04:51:43 -0800 (PST)

Personally, I'd choose ASM and recommend it to all my customers. This is partly
because: 1) Oracle recommends it, 2) if Oracle recommends something, they
generally support it better than things they don't recommend, 3) it doesn't
cost extra money, and 4) I think ASM is a fine product that does its job well
(admittedly better in 11g than 10g, but that's not your question).

I think that using a CFS requires training for system admins while ASM would
also require training, but possibly for the DBAs instead of the sysadmins.
Typically, I still see ASM being managed by DBAs even though it really isn't a
database. Many companies have the DBAs manage anything with the word Oracle
stamped on it.

For docs or links, see otn.oracle.com/asm.

Dan