RE: CREATE DATABASE LINK privilege discussion

  • From: John Hallas <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Michael Dinh' <mdinh@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:59:50 +0000

We have a site standard that nobody gets create database link privilege and if
one is necessary the DBA team create it (or grant  the privilege until it has
been created and then revoke the privilege).
In that way we can monitor what the dblink is being used for and ensure it is
not connecting a production environment to a development one. That normally
resolves all issues.
The other two documented standards are that we do not create public database
links and that we name the db_link with the name of the database it is
connecting to.
The final one can be a bit difficult as we have several applications that
require a specifically named db link but generally it works well.

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

I am curious how many of you grant your developers the 'CREATE DATABASE LINK'
privilege in 10g or higher?
We have a production read-only account that is setup to provide support for
troubleshooting production support issues and one of my developers (out of
approximately 20 devs) created a database link from a development database to
production for his application.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The
registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West
Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to
the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely
on the email or its attachments in any way.

This email does not constitute a contract in writing for the purposes of the
Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989.

Our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase, as may be amended from time to
time, apply to any contract that we enter into. The current version of our
Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase is available at:
http://www.morrisons.co.uk/gscop

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are
virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.