RE: Building Slow Development Systems (On Purpose)

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kerry.osborne@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 14:21:56 -0400

Kerry,

        Your most likely to get flamed from the development side of the
list.  Naturally developers want the same or similar setup as production
and to a point I agree.  Yes they should have sufficient disk space for
a full dump of Prod so that they can mimic it.  But I'm a fan of
recycling the equipment that we were using in Prod into Dev environments
so that the developers are working with slightly poorer equipment that
the production folks so they see the problems in a similar light.  BTW:
as much as we all hate raid 5, I like it in dev.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International