Re: Fw: OT - Getting fired for database oops

  • From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dreveewee@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 21:37:09 +0200

But even if it's done in the most perfect way, if not *all* components
involved (network, operating system, database, applications) are tightly
secured, a mistake in another layer could easily lead to compromise. Also,
in the cases I encountered, the security auditor has no/little technical
knowledge, which means that with some suggesting and some omitting of
details it's quite easy to pass the audit.
It reminds me of a saying in the network world about firewalls: 'the harder
on the outside, the softer on the inside'. At least until two years ago, the
default operator interface of networking components like switches and
routers, but disturbingly even firewalls is telnet. SSH (encrypted) access
is an option...

frits