Re: asm vs raw - the smackdown

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jifjif@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 11:16:38 -0700

Both ASM and raw use the exact same system calls to issue I/O, so
there is no performance difference based on function calls/call stack.

The ASM advantage is in the automatic striping of data over the LUNs
(ASM disks) - the ASM logical layer.  This reduces time to implement a
well performing db layout as well as maintenance (disk additions &
rebalanced) in the future.  In other words, it takes much more time
and effort to create a good layout with raw than it does with ASM.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn