RE: Books for beginner - learning PL/SQL and/or APEX

  • From: "Teehan, Mark" <mark.teehan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:57:21 +0800

Sandra,

Apex has lots of wizards for the simple stuff; so you can bang out a
report, a chart or a menu in no time. Building applications that people
will want to use takes a lot more time-  but - you will be impressed at
the depth of this product. It really seems that the Apex developers have
thought of the most obscure stuff and carefully standardized it into the
development interface.

The charting product is very powerful; but the APIs shipped with Apex
only let you access about 10% of its capability. Google for techniques
to do this better.

Over the last two years I've done hundreds of hours of Apex development
and the best source of information is the internet. Start with the apex
forum on forums.oracle.com and from there you will start bouncing to the
large number of very informative blogs on Apex. As it is a web
technology, far more Apex developers tend to be bloggers, and
apex.oracle.com is a central point for putting live sample code up for
everyone to try.
Apex development pushes quite deep into advanced PL/SQL, and this can
also be a steep learning curve (collections, table functions, ref
cursors that sort of thing). But it is not nearly as steep as learning
javascript or .Net if you background is as an Oracle DBA.

I found that the difficult part of Apex is getting your head around how
HTML pages work - flow of control between widgets, initializing
controls, passing values between HTML pages.

After years of using my trusty directory full of scripts to manage
databases, in the last 2 years I have largely switched over to a bunch
of apex apps that I've written, and it has given me a whole new
perspective on oracle instrumentation. Top tip from me: AWR + Apex.

Rgds
Mark