Re: Archiving data into another database

  • From: "Carel-Jan Engel" <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:22:44 +0100 (CET)

My main objection against solutions with separated sets of historical and
actual data is that users often (read: ultimately always...) want to see
information combined/derived/aggegrated from both actual and historical
data. This yields maintenance of more complex queries, with unions, and a
lot of extra development, testing, release and version management of data
and code.

I'd prefer to keep the whole thing in the same set of tables, eventually
partitioned.

40 GB of data is not that big, after all.

You say it will probably help the performance. This implies performance is
suboptimal now. Is the amount of data the root cause of your performance
problems? Is performance the reason why you want to start all the hassle
with splitting/separating your data? Did you investigate what is causing
your bad performance?

Don't get me wrong: If you have 15GB worth of data that serves no
requirement (incl. legal enforcements to keep historicla data for 7 or 10
years, or whatever): Just make a backup of the database (or two), and
throw away the obsolete stuff. If you still need the data: describe the
real problems, investigate for possible solutions and pick the best. Try
not to jump into solutions to soon.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
===