RE: Archiving data into another database

  • From: "Laimutis Nedzinskas" <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:58:45 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Carel-Jan Engel
My main objection against solutions with separated sets of historical
and actual data is that users often (read: ultimately always...) want to
see information combined/derived/aggegrated from both actual and
historical data.

As a developer-analyst with n-years of expierence I can second that.
In practice even OLTP applications may need access to historic data. A
simple example: the common question when serving a client (whatever
client. it may be a fire station dispatcher taking a call) is to get
access to previous transactions on behalf of that client. In practice it
may be possible to denormalize or to separate relevant history records
into smaller tables but not allways. As soon as there is some decision
making then the application drifts to tactical app.
Fyrirvari/Disclaimer
http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer