Re: Any reason not to have logic in the db?

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:37:39 +0300

this question is about technology which is practical.

Consider now mostly forgotten Oracle developer (Forms)  as the only db
client technology.
The logic can be programmed using essentialy the same PL/SQL either in
Forms (client or app server side) or in the db.

It was told many times over: PL/SQL in the db performs better.
But PL/SQL in the Forms can be changed more easily. With the advent of
editions and fine grained dependencies in 11g the code changes seem to be
easier in 11g database but it will take time until developers start using
this feature at full.
That is basically all to be said...

  From:       Paul Linehan <linehanp@xxxxxx>

  To:         oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Date:       2012.06.12 14:31

  Subject:    Any reason not to have logic in the db?

Hi all,

Apart from my various meanderings as a DBA and
programmer, I am also in College by night and thus
want to get at the fundamentals of CS and databases.

I don't profess to being an expert (I wish!), but I believe
that I've grasped at least the rudiments of my field, i.e.
databases and how they should be used.

I've read loads (apart from my studies) of blogs and
Oracle (which as we all know, has its flaws) books.

What I want to know is: Is there any reason whatsoever
to have logic outside the database that could potentially
be kept there - notably CHECKs, CONSTRAINTs,
TRIGGERs, containing possibly complex PL/SQL - i.e.,
it's sort of a question about App-tiers vs. DB.

My own opinion (to put my  cards on the table) is that
"logic" should be stored as far down the stack as possible
(DB, first, then app-server... &c).

Anyone know of any counter-examples?

TIA and rgs,

Paul...