Re: Any reason not to have logic in the db?

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:53:44 +0100

Hi Andrew,

On 12/06/12 14:46, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> Ah yes, the religious wars.
Religion? No thanks! ;-)

> I like to keep logic that I call data
> integrity related in the database, that would be check constraints and
> foreign key constraints, etc.
Agreed.

> Possibly triggers, but that is a borderline call.
Triggers, borderline? Where else would you have them but in the database?

> Logic that is likely
> to change year by year should be kept in the application code.
I assume you do not refer to client server applications? I have a few of
those (ok, a lot) that are still in use. Rolling out potentially
thousands of applications to users is far more difficult than applying a
patch to one database. And sometimes, users hibernate their desktops so
don't login and get the latest application version.

For multi-tier stuff, it's acceptable(ish) to upgrade the middle tier
from time to time, I agree.

> I can see both sides, but I know my opinion is correct :).
I like your thinking! ;-)

Cheers,
Norm.

--