Re: Shared APPL_TOP filesystem question

  • From: Luis Freitas <lfreitas34@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:43:42 -0800 (PST)

Chuck,

   I don't agree that this setup can't deliver automated NFS failover.

   It should be possible to set these boxes with a shared device, DRDB, OCSF2,
whatever, and use Oracle CRS to manage the NFS server and virtual IP.

   The Linux NFS server already has some provisions to allow for a high
availability deployment. There are some parts missing, like proper nfs locks
replay, but it can be made to work as an application file system, where these
bits are not critical. Not sure on how this goes with other vendors, as they
would expect you to purchase their clusterware.

   I am playing with a configuration like this here, with the added
complication of mixing Solaris clients with the Linux NFS server, over a OCFS2
filesystem. But we will purchase a NAS device next year so we may not need to
go into production with this setup. To ensure high availability we mounted the
filesystem using one of the RAC VIPs already setup on the server, since the NFS
server is also a RAC database server, and added some configuration parameters
on the NFS server to allow for a transparent reconnection on the client side.

   But a NetApp filer provides a lot of functionality, like automated
snapshots, replication across remote or DR sites, etc.

   Also we should not consider only the hardware cost, but the overal cost.
Implementing a solution like this with linux or Unix will need work from a
specialized O/S consultant, and also the post-implementation suport cost, for
which the filer could have better management tools. Depending on the size of
the deployment the suport costs offset the initial implementation cost.

   Btw, you could install OpenFiler on those two boxes. I don't know if the
High Availability bits are on the community edition.

Best Regards,
Luis Freitas