[optimal] Re: question about OCT-C Certification - RED DISEASE

  • From: "Carlton, Chris [VA]" <Chris.Carlton@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 07:45:42 -0700

I would have to agree on both points. What is normal? If someone is below or
above average height is there something wrong with them? It is change that is
important especially for glaucoma however many patients have thickness changes
that have nothing to do with glaucoma so it important to communicate that.

It is the second part that I find most interesting. Most of the work I do is
for retina. We also have 4 glaucoma docs. I am seeing more patients cycling
from retina to glaucoma. With some of them you can easily see the diffidence in
the optic nerve over a course of a few years. So much for you will only lose
your central vision if you have AMD. The question I have is would they have had
glaucoma eventually and this is just accelerating the process or is this
actually causing glaucoma? It is a question that  needs further study.

Chris Carlton
VGH/UBC
Eye Care Center