[optimal] Re: artifact issue

  • From: "Darrin Landry" <darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 06:41:36 -0700

Thanks for all the input.

This is an older 50X model with no alignment dots. I am not in physical contact
with the camera, so I am relying on a somewhat inexperienced photographer to
relay info to me.

I agree with Jonathan that it is probably something on the front of the lens,
but as I mentioned, they insist they've cleaned the front element. I can't
imagine that anything is on the interior or anterior aspect of the front
element, but I'm not prepared to walk this person through disassembling their
camera.

It does appear in the same location on every patient, in every modality, at
every magnification.

Darrin Landry, CRA, OCT-C

Bryson Taylor Inc.

Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 17:38:23 -0500 > Subject: [optimal] Re: NaFl derived
from exactly what? > From: Marshall Tyler <marshalletyler@xxxxxxxxx> >  > When
I would hear residents tell a patient that it is a vegetable dye, I > would ask
them later, "which vegetable?"  This made for an interesting > discussion. >
Thank you, > Marshall > Marshall E Tyler > On Nov 22, 2013 7:49 PM, "Sandor
Ferenczy" <sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: >  >> random thoughts, found via
the US government: >>  >> cook these: >> phthalic anhydride >>
http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=6811&loc=ec_rcs >> + >>
resorcinol >> http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=5054 >>
>> in the presence of zinc chloride >>
http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=5727&loc=ec_rcs >>  >>
and you have fluorescein >>  >> resorcinol may be where the idea of
plant-derived came from, as it can be >> derived from a pigment in the
brazilwood tree. however, it cam be created >> in other ways as well. >>  >>
>>  >> For pregnant patients: >>
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~Bg8p8J:1 >>  >>  >>  >>
and this made me laugh: >> FDA says: >> D&C Yellow #8 (aka fluorescein sodium),
approved only for "*EXTERNALLY >> APPLIED DRUGS & COSMETICS*. (None of these
colors may be used in products >> that are for use in the area of the eye)" >>

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=1359&query=fluorescein+sodium&searchas=TblChemicals
 >>  >>  >>  >>  >>  >>  >> as for patients, i tell them it was first
synthesized in 1871 from a few >> different chemicals. about a dozen times or
so i have given out the drug >> info sheet, as career-chemists wanted the
chemical structure. We're smack >> in the middle of the old Princeton labs and
the Dupont Chemical state of >> Delaware... >>  >>  >> my coffee break (and
therefore rapid research) is over, >>  >> sandor >>  >>  >> On Fri, Nov 22,
2013 at 12:21 PM, Steffens, Timothy < >> tjsteffe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >>  >>>
 I tell people we are injecting dinosaurs. It's a compound synthesized >>> from
petroleum. >>>  >>> What's petroleum? Old dinosaurs and plants. >>> What's
fluorescein? Old dinosaurs and plants mixed with "stuff" to make >>> it
fluoresce. >>>  >>> Thanks, >>>  >>> Tim Steffens, CRA >>> Director of
Ophthalmic Imaging >>> University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Center >>> 1000 Wall
Street >>> Ann Arbor, MI >>> P: 734-936-2283 >>> tjsteffe@xxxxxxxxx >>>  >>>
From: <Stuart>, "<B. Alfred>", <B.S.>, <C.R.A.>, "O.C.T-C" < >>>
stuart.alfred@xxxxxxxxx> >>> Reply-To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >>> Date: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:13 PM >>> To:
"optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >>> Subject: [optimal] NaFl
derived from exactly what? >>>  >>>   Eye Experts: >>> I am stumped, is it
Fluorescent dye, mineral source, water-soluable >>> compound or plant source?
I vote mineral source. >>>  >>> TIA. >>> Sincerely, >>>  >>> Stuart Alfred,
B.S., C.R.A., O.C.T.-C >>> 528 North Bauman Street >>> Indianapolis, IN  46214
>>> stuart.alfred@xxxxxxxxx >>> 317 517-9455 cell >>> *www.stuartalfred.com <*"
target=_blank>http://www.stuartalfred.com>* >>>  >>>
********************************************************** >>> Electronic Mail
is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not >>> be used for urgent
or sensitive issues >>>  >>  >>  >  >  >  > ------------------------------ >  >
End of optimal Digest V4 #226 > ***************************** >
------------------------------  From: "George Henry, CRA, PBT"
<ghenry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [optimal] Re: optimal Digest V4 #226 Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:21:47 -0600  Oh, they're still using fluorescein sodium to
dye the Chicago River for St. Patrick's Day...  It's quite obvious when you see
them pouring that dark reddish-orange powder in the river, and it immediately
fluoresces that unmistakable yellow-green.  I get a good laugh every time the
newscasters covering the event call it a "secret formula"!  George E. Henry,
CRA, PBT(ASCP) Wheaton Eye Clinic, Ltd. 2015 N. Main Street Wheaton IL 60187
630.588.3615   -----Original Message----- From: optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bartsch, Dirk Sent: Monday,
November 25, 2013 13:38 To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [optimal] Re:
optimal Digest V4 #226  Okay.  Here is the what wikipedia says. It confirms
[...]
------------------------------  From: "Bennett, Timothy"
<tbennett1@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [optimal] Re: optimal Digest V4 #226 Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:35:00 +0000  I agree George. See Alan Frohlichstein's very
cool blog post on the staining of  the Chicago River and the comments
pertaining to the "secret formula":
http://www.opsweb.org/blogpost/772200/169233/Looking-for-a-Barrier-Filter-to-Cover-the-Sun
  tim -----Original Message----- From: optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[optimal] Re: optimal Digest V4 #226  Oh, they're still using fluorescein
[...]
------------------------------  Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:28:44 -0500 Subject:
[optimal] artifact issue From: Darrin Landry <darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Optimalers:  I have a practice with an artifact problem. They are using a
Topcon 50X camera.  At first blush it looks like a typical tears on the
objective lens issue, but fervent cleaning of the lens didn't fix the problem,
and it can't be viewed either from the front or through the minus diopter lens
setting. I have asked 5 times if they are sure they cleaned the lens well.  I
am assuming it's something on the objective lens, as it's a white artifact (I
am troubleshooting this over the phone, as they are very rural, and no chance I
will be in their neck of the woods anytime soon. If I am, something has gone
terribly wrong in my career). I am thinking it's on the anterior surface of the
objective lens, but it's not easy talking someone through dismantling the
objective lens over the phone. Changing filters, magnification and focus
doesn't change the appearance of this artifact. This came on rather sudden as
well- not a slow growing problem. I have attached the example they sent me- if
anyone has any ideas, thoughts, etc, I welcome your input.  Thanks in advance
Darrin  Darrin Landry, CRA, OCT-C Bryson Taylor Inc.
------------------------------  From: anton.drew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:
[optimal] Re: artifact issue Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:45:29 +1030  Darrin, I
agree with you on first sight that is is indicative of tear splash. To happen
so quickly that would be my first thought.  Do they check the front objective
by turning the lights low and cranking the focus light to full intensity ?   I
personally have found this the best technique for checking for errant
artifacts, and have picked up splotches this way, that under room light, or low
focus light can be easily missed.  Just my 2cc's worth.  Anton Drew Adelaide
South Australia  ----- Original Message ----- From: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:"optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"  Cc: Sent:Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:28:44 -0500
Subject:[optimal] artifact issue    Optimalers:   I have a practice with an
[...]
Bryson Taylor Inc.   ------------------------------  Subject: [optimal] Re:
artifact issue From: Brice Critser <bricecritser@xxxxxxxxx> Date: Mon, 25 Nov
2013 19:31:09 -0600  Darrin,  Have you tried turning off the alignment aid? It
sort of looks an artifact that  we have on one of our 50 DX's. Try turning off
the alignment aid and take a test  shot and turn it on and see if the artifact
appears. Do you use the alignment  dots as you take images?  Brice Critser Sent
from my iPhone 5   > On Nov 25, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Darrin Landry
<darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >  >     Optimalers: >  > I have a practice
with an artifact problem. They are using a Topcon 50X  camera.  > At first
blush it looks like a typical tears on the objective lens issue, but  fervent
cleaning of the lens didn't fix the problem, and it can't be viewed  either
from the front or through the minus diopter lens setting. I have asked 5  times
if they are sure they cleaned the lens well. >  I am assuming it's something on
the objective lens, as it's a white artifact  (I am troubleshooting this over
the phone, as they are very rural, and no chance  I will be in their neck of
the woods anytime soon. If I am, something has gone  terribly wrong in my
career).  > I am thinking it's on the anterior surface of the objective lens,
but it's not  easy talking someone through dismantling the objective lens over
the phone.  Changing filters, magnification and focus doesn't change the
appearance of this  artifact. This came on rather sudden as well- not a slow
growing problem. > I have attached the example they sent me- if anyone has any
ideas, thoughts,  etc, I welcome your input. >  > Thanks in advance >  > Darrin
>  > Darrin Landry, CRA, OCT-C > Bryson Taylor Inc. > <photo.JPG>
------------------------------  Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:38:33 -0500 Subject:
[optimal] Re: artifact issue From: "Michael R. Turano, Jr." <turano@xxxxxxxxx>
I was gonna say the same thing Brice, but his description of the camera as a
50X made me think otherwise as the alignment aids appeared on the EX vintage I
believe. Darrin can you confirm the model is an X and not an EX
version/vintage. I have also seen this occasionally with room lighting a well
placed ceiling "can" light has caused me similar artifacts. Does it happen on
every patient?  Michael  Mike __  Michael Turano  c. 917.826.9506 f.
917.591.1841 e. turano@xxxxxxxxx   On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Brice
Critser <bricecritser@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:  > Darrin, > > Have you tried turning
[...]
Marc Gilels <vasion@xxxxxxx> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:45:44 -0500 (EST)  spit
spot ....100% positive         -----Original Message----- From: Darrin Landry
<darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: optimal <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Mon, Nov
25, 2013 7:29 pm Subject: [optimal] artifact issue          Optimalers:   I
[...]
------------------------------  From: Jonathan Shankle
<jonathan.shankle@xxxxxxxxx> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:52:10 -0500 Subject:
[optimal] Re: artifact issue  I'm not 100% it's a spit/blink/tear spot, but I
am 100% it's on the front element. There's actually two spots, and the
alignment of the two doesn't match up with the typical alignment you see with
the fixation aids, likely moot anyways as it's a 50x and they didn't feature
those. If I had a nickel for every time someone swore a front element was
clean, only to find it looked like someone had covered it in oatmeal.. Well,
I'd have a few nickels. - Jonathan  Sent from my iPhone  On Nov 25, 2013, at
8:46 PM, Marc Gilels <vasion@xxxxxxx> wrote:  spit spot ....100% positive
-----Original Message----- From: Darrin Landry <darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
optimal <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Mon, Nov 25, 2013 7:29 pm Subject:
[optimal] artifact issue    Optimalers:   I have a practice with an artifact
From: Brice Critser <bricecritser@xxxxxxxxx> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:12:44
-0600  A quick googling found the 50x manual and it appears it does have
alignment  aids. I've included a screen grab from the manual and it sort of has
the same  effect your describing. The only thing that puzzles me, is that the
artifact  seems to be static. Alignment aid artifacts tend to move with the
changing  position of alignment. So unless you're hitting the exact same
position in every  frame, it might be a wild goose chase. But an easy chase to
test.  Here's the screen grab:  Brice Critser Sent from my iPhone 5   > On Nov
25, 2013, at 7:38 PM, "Michael R. Turano, Jr." <turano@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote: >  >
I was gonna say the same thing Brice, but his description of the camera as a
50X made me think otherwise as the alignment aids appeared on the EX vintage I
believe. Darrin can you confirm the model is an X and not an EX
version/vintage.  I have also seen this occasionally with room lighting a well
placed ceiling  "can" light has caused me similar artifacts. >  > Does it
happen on every patient? >  > Michael >  > Mike > __ >  > Michael Turano >  >
c. 917.826.9506 > f.  917.591.1841 > e. turano@xxxxxxxxx >  >  >> On Mon, Nov
25, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Brice Critser <bricecritser@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote: >> Darrin,
>>  >> Have you tried turning off the alignment aid? It sort of looks an
artifact  that we have on one of our 50 DX's. Try turning off the alignment aid
and take a  test shot and turn it on and see if the artifact appears. Do you
use the  alignment dots as you take images? >>  >> Brice Critser >> Sent from
my iPhone 5 >>  >>  >> > On Nov 25, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Darrin Landry
<darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >> > >> >       Optimalers: >> > >> > I have a
practice with an artifact problem. They are using a Topcon 50X  camera. >> > At
first blush it looks like a typical tears on the objective lens issue,  but
fervent cleaning of the lens didn't fix the problem, and it can't be viewed
either from the front or through the minus diopter lens setting. I have asked 5
 times if they are sure they cleaned the lens well. >> >  I am assuming it's
something on the objective lens, as it's a white  artifact (I am
troubleshooting this over the phone, as they are very rural, and  no chance I
will be in their neck of the woods anytime soon. If I am, something  has gone
terribly wrong in my career). >> > I am thinking it's on the anterior surface
of the objective lens, but it's  not easy talking someone through dismantling
the objective lens over the phone.  Changing filters, magnification and focus
doesn't change the appearance of this  artifact. This came on rather sudden as
well- not a slow growing problem. >> > I have attached the example they sent
me- if anyone has any ideas,  thoughts, etc, I welcome your input. >> > >> >
Thanks in advance >> > >> > Darrin >> > >> > Darrin Landry, CRA, OCT-C >> >
Bryson Taylor Inc. >> > <photo.JPG> >    ------------------------------  Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:43:47 -0800 (PST) From: H Nguyen
<emailforeyefriends@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: [optimal] Re: artifact issue  I agreed
with Jonathan.? Looks like tear/snot spots.?  Alignment fixation aids spots
tend not to be that prominent.      On Monday, November 25, 2013 8:52 PM,
Jonathan Shankle <jonathan.shankle@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:   I'm not 100% it's a
------------------------------  End of optimal Digest V4 #227