[optimal] Re: artifact issue

  • From: "George Henry, CRA, PBT" <ghenry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 08:54:59 -0600

I agree with Marty:  if it does not change in size or position with a change in
magnification, it is NOT on the front element, but rather, on the mirror,
sensor, or relay lens surface.

George E. Henry, CRA, PBT
Wheaton Eye Clinic, Ltd.
2015 N. Main Street
Wheaton IL 60187
630.588.3615

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or protected
health information that is of a sensitive nature, and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed subject to applicable law. If the
reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, the reader is hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

  _____

From: "George Henry, CRA, PBT" <ghenry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [optimal] Re: NaFl derived from exactly what?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:23:57 -0600

Beets seemed to be a popular answer back when I started out.  I guess nobody
really wanted to tell a patient that we were about to inject them with
something derived from mothballs..

George E. Henry, CRA, PBT
Wheaton Eye Clinic, Ltd.
2015 N. Main Street
Wheaton IL 60187
630.588.3615

From: "Bartsch, Dirk" <dbartsch@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [optimal] Re: optimal Digest V4 #226
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:38:20 +0000

Okay.
Here is the what wikipedia says. It confirms what Sandor said:

Sodium fluorescein is made from
Phthalic Anhydride and resorcinol

Phtalic anhydride is made from xylene and naphthalene

Xylene is an aromatic hydrocarbon produced either from crude oil or coal
Naphthalene is another aromatic hydrocarbon derived from coal tar and is the
main ingredient of mothballs

Resorcinol is made from resins, hydrocarbon secretions of many plants such as
brazil wood. Alternatively, resorcinol can be made synthetically from other
hydrocarbons.

So, in short. Sodium fluorescein is made from hydrocarbons. It is NOT a
vegetable dye and it is not made from vegetables. Perhaps the vegetable dye
story comes from the Chicago River celebration. They used to use sodium
fluorescein to dye the river green on St. Patrick�s Day. In 1966
environmentalists forced a change to a �vegetable-based dye to protect
wildlife�. That could be the origin of that part of the story.

Dirk-Uwe

------------------------------

From: "George Henry, CRA, PBT" <ghenry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:21:47 -0600

Oh, they're still using fluorescein sodium to dye the Chicago River for St.
Patrick's Day...  It's quite obvious when you see them pouring that dark
reddish-orange powder in the river, and it immediately fluoresces that
unmistakable yellow-green.  I get a good laugh every time the newscasters
covering the event call it a "secret formula"!

George E. Henry, CRA, PBT(ASCP)
Wheaton Eye Clinic, Ltd.
2015 N. Main Street
Wheaton IL 60187
630.588.3615

From: "Bennett, Timothy" <tbennett1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:35:00 +0000

I agree George. See Alan Frohlichstein's very cool blog post on the staining of
the Chicago River and the comments pertaining to the "secret formula":

http://www.opsweb.org/blogpost/772200/169233/Looking-for-a-Barrier-Filter-to-Cover-the-Sun

tim

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:28:44 -0500
Subject: [optimal] artifact issue
From: Darrin Landry <darrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Optimalers:

I have a practice with an artifact problem. They are using a Topcon 50X
camera.
At first blush it looks like a typical tears on the objective lens issue,
but fervent cleaning of the lens didn't fix the problem, and it can't be
viewed either from the front or through the minus diopter lens setting. I
have asked 5 times if they are sure they cleaned the lens well.
 I am assuming it's something on the objective lens, as it's a white
artifact (I am troubleshooting this over the phone, as they are very rural,
and no chance I will be in their neck of the woods anytime soon. If I am,
something has gone terribly wrong in my career).
I am thinking it's on the anterior surface of the objective lens, but it's
not easy talking someone through dismantling the objective lens over the
phone. Changing filters, magnification and focus doesn't change the
appearance of this artifact. This came on rather sudden as well- not a slow
growing problem.
I have attached the example they sent me- if anyone has any ideas, thoughts,
etc, I welcome your input.

Thanks in advance

Darrin

Darrin Landry, CRA, OCT-C
Bryson Taylor Inc.

------------------------------

From: anton.drew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:45:29 +1030

Darrin, I agree with you on first sight that is is indicative of tear
splash.
To happen so quickly that would be my first thought.

Do they check the front objective by turning the lights low and
cranking the focus light to full intensity ?

I personally have found this the best technique for checking for
errant artifacts, and have picked up
splotches this way, that under room light, or low focus light can be
easily missed.

Just my 2cc's worth.

Anton Drew
Adelaide
South Australia

From: Brice Critser <bricecritser@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:31:09 -0600

Darrin,

Have you tried turning off the alignment aid? It sort of looks an artifact that
we have on one of our 50 DX's. Try turning off the alignment aid and take a
test
shot and turn it on and see if the artifact appears. Do you use the alignment
dots as you take images?

Brice Critser
Sent from my iPhone 5

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:38:33 -0500
From: "Michael R. Turano, Jr." <turano@xxxxxxxxx>

I was gonna say the same thing Brice, but his description of the camera as
a 50X made me think otherwise as the alignment aids appeared on the EX
vintage I believe. Darrin can you confirm the model is an X and not an EX
version/vintage. I have also seen this occasionally with room lighting a
well placed ceiling "can" light has caused me similar artifacts.
Does it happen on every patient?

Michael

Mike
__

Michael Turano

c. 917.826.9506
f.  917.591.1841
e. turano@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: Marc Gilels <vasion@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:45:44 -0500 (EST)

spit spot ....100% positive

From: Jonathan Shankle <jonathan.shankle@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:52:10 -0500

I'm not 100% it's a spit/blink/tear spot, but I am 100% it's on the front
element. There's actually two spots, and the alignment of the two doesn't
match up with the typical alignment you see with the fixation aids, likely
moot anyways as it's a 50x and they didn't feature those.
If I had a nickel for every time someone swore a front element was clean,
only to find it looked like someone had covered it in oatmeal.. Well, I'd
have a few nickels.
- Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 25, 2013, at 8:46 PM, Marc Gilels <vasion@xxxxxxx> wrote:

spit spot ....100% positive

From: Brice Critser <bricecritser@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:12:44 -0600

A quick googling found the 50x manual and it appears it does have alignment
aids. I've included a screen grab from the manual and it sort of has the same
effect your describing. The only thing that puzzles me, is that the artifact
seems to be static. Alignment aid artifacts tend to move with the changing
position of alignment. So unless you're hitting the exact same position in
every
frame, it might be a wild goose chase. But an easy chase to test.
Here's the screen grab:

Brice Critser
Sent from my iPhone 5

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:43:47 -0800 (PST)
From: H Nguyen <emailforeyefriends@xxxxxxxxx>

I agreed with Jonathan.� Looks like tear/snot spots.�
Alignment fixation aids spots tend not to be that prominent.

On Monday, November 25, 2013 8:52 PM, Jonathan Shankle
<jonathan.shankle@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm not 100% it's a spit/blink/tear spot, but I am 100% it's on the front
element. There's actually two spots, and the alignment of the two doesn't match
up with the typical alignment you see with the fixation aids, likely moot
anyways as it's a 50x and they didn't feature those.�
If I had a nickel for every time someone swore a front element was clean, only
to find it looked like someone had covered it in oatmeal.. Well, I'd have a few
nickels.�

- Jonathan�

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 25, 2013, at 8:46 PM, Marc Gilels <vasion@xxxxxxx> wrote: