[optimal] Re: The OIS Eye Scan digital system

  • From: Sandor <sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:09:19 -0400

Richard-
We had one in a couple of months ago, and were very pleased. We used it in the
clinic, and then in the OR for pediatric exams.

We have had concerns with the RetCam and it's lack of imaging upgrades over the
past 15 years ( still the same resolution) and have been looking for a
replacement/backup for quite a while now. Certainly, the EyeScan is not a
direct replacement, but the FAs and color fundus imaging we were able to get
after just 2 cases in the OR were enough to make us buy the EyeScan system. The
fact that other modalities can possibly be added in the future, due to. He
modular nature of the design, is only icing on the cake. Like a good SLR
system, let me invest in the body/ccd once, and simply buy more lenses (
modules) as I need them or they become available - it's about time an
ophthalmic camera company thinks ahead.

As far as construction, servos and modular lenses have been used in "normal"
professional cameras for decades, so I would think that the bits used in the
EyeScan will hold up well to use, and after two days of testing it showed
nothing to make me think otherwise.

There were absolutely no glaring issues in our use of it, and the main
limitation we saw was viewing angle, which was expected, and which
(potentially) could be solved with another lens in the future. But one cannot
argue with the quality of the images, relative ease of use, and quality of the
database/software when compared with any other portable (OR-capable) imaging
system available on the US market. Drs. Shields were impressed with it's
capability v. price and also with the fact that it has taken so long to get
something like this on the market. They are accustomed to the versatility of
the SLR cameras we use daily in the clinic and OR, and to see that same idea
come to fundus imaging was kind of a "duh!" moment.

-sandor

Sandor Ferenczy, CRA, OCTc

Ocular Oncology Service
Wills Eye Institute