[optacon-l] Re: new optacon design

  • From: Rachel <rachel720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 09:54:13 -0400

Okay, wait a minute.  It appears that people are misunderstanding what I
said.  I am NOT suggesting that a new Optacon convert print letters into
Braille ones; rather, my question related to the comment that one of the
engineers made that the vibration was necessary to project the image.
The absolute beauty of the Optacon is that you CAN look at nonliterary
characters in real-time.  By NO means would I EVER want that to go away.
  A device that didn't allow you to feel the shape of the text under the
camera in real-time just wouldn't be an Optacon to me.  Having said all
of this, I'd appreciate, if possible, a nontechnical explanation for why
the vibration would still need to remain in a newly-designed machine.
Thanks.
Rachel