Re: Two Weeks of Surveys, update Pril 30, 2006

  • From: "Francesca Diodati" <mdiodat@xxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:00:37 +0200

Pam and all, that's the cool thing about the optacon: when you wonder: "Am I
really reading what I think I'm reading?" and you check and you still read
the same thing, then you're really reading correctly!! With scanners I'm
always in doubt about what I'm reading...I can't stand scanners, I can't
stand anything giving interpretations for me. I do have a scanner and use it
occasionally, but I always feel restless when I do.
Reading books with the optacon takes time and effort, but to know that I can
go to the bookstore and buy me anything I want, take it home and read it
without any "intermediary" makes it worth it. I admit that if audio is
available I choose audio, though I do like to read with the optacon a lot,
also because I really like to have a direct contact with the page, so to
speak.

I'm subscribed to Astronomy Magazine, and that is of course full of
pictures. I bet even the most advanced scanner users among us wouldn't even
attempt to read such a magazine with a scanner.

I also notice that when I read with the optacon my attention is greater than
when I read with speech at the PC. I guess it has to do with the fact that
with the optacon we're directly involved, and are not read to. Maybe the
same happpens with braille, but I haven't used it enough to tell.

Fran