Re: reading books

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 03:23:27 EDT

I have read books with the optacon, several novels, and I used to have
several favorite magazines which I read with the optacon. When I started being
computer programmer, I read scads of manuals and reference works with the
optacon. I still use it to look things up, but with the advances in technology
I find
that I can read books and magazines faster with my screen reader on my
computer or with my Reading Edge. It still is easier to use the optacon to look
things up in print works I have around here, but if it's available on the
computer
as for instance dictionaries and the Yellow Pages are, it's now faster and
easier for me to use these resources. I've never gotten very good at reading
things from a TV screen because of the lines, but I've used the optacon to read
other displays. I've used it in desperate moments to restore a computer that's
lost speech, but with all the graphics, that's not easy. If a new optacon
could have the ability to make different displays readable, that would be a
definite advantage, but this would be difficult because of the graphics and the
different contrasts used in differing displays.
Gail