RE: reading books

  • From: "Christo de Klerk" <cjdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:22:57 +0200

Hi all

I would also like to add that I have read many novels with my Optacon. Among
the books I've read with it are The Magus by John Fowles (about 540 pages)
and a book of short stories by Vladimir Nabokov (about 700 pages). At the
time I read them, they weren't available in other formats and scanners
weren't available yet. I still use the Optacon to read novels that aren't in
English, such as those in my mother tongue, Afrikaans, for which there is no
synthesised speech yet. I suppose I am more of a bookworm than the average
person and if a book isn't available in braille or audio and I want to read
it, I'll read it with my Optacon. Yes, it is slow,but it does enable me to
read books that otherwise I wouldn't have been able to read.

Regards

Christo