[optacon-l] Re: Reading Speed

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 18:03:59 -0600

In fact, you can't learn to interpolate graphical data, or non-textual data in
a particularly speedy manner; yet, the ability to perform such tasks as
location of
stains, experiencing paterns, looking at objects as diverse as art and coins or
paper currency is worth the time.  Even investigation of the layout of books
and periodicals as an art-form, not just for the meaning in the text is
extremely gratifying and leads to an appreciation for what sightlings feel they
lose when
they join our club...

Nick

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:19:33 -0500 (EST), Catherine Thomas wrote:

As I explained to Sarah in an off-list message, many tasks for which we
use the Optacon don't require speed. Reading mail, signing documents,
identifying cans and bottles, checking print labels and envelopes or
setting up pages for a scanner are only a few of the tasks that the
Optacon can make possible for us where speed is not a requirement.
Catherine