RE: How would the one-handed Optacon work? was a wish list

  • From: "Christo de Klerk" <cjdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:46:33 +0200

Hi all

This idea occurred to me, I suppose, inspired by the new NFB Reader. Perhaps
the following could work for one-handed operation, but I can see many other
interesting spin-offs as well. A digital camera is used to take an image of
the whole page or whatever is to be read. The image is transferred to the
main unit. The main unit has the tactile array just like our Optacons have
today, but the entire image is in its memory. It doesn't perform OCR on the
image, but allows the user to read the image in its memory by feeling the
array. One immediate advantage of this is that one could then easily save
one's current position when reading is interrupted and resume reading easily
later.

Regards

Christo