RE: How would the one-handed Optacon work? was a wish list

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:55:36 -0500

Braille displays use a static array, where, the vibratory nature of the
Optacon's array was the feature that allowed it to be used in a realtime
constantly
fluctuating environment such as that in which a human hand with it's natural
vagaries, moved a camera across some form of visually presented information.
Playing with technologies not mass-produced, or tested, costs money--lots of
money--and thereby makes bringing a replacement, or improved product to
market near-term less likely.

Nick

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:46:20 +0100, Dave Godfrey wrote:

 The reference to the mouse was an analogy. It was to give the idea something
 that most people could appreciate. It wouldn't operate like a mouse, but be
 handheld like a mouse.
 Another point brought up is the array. It may be worth thinking of new
 polymer technology and move away from piezo ceramic driven pins that are
 bulky and heavy. I know there are developments in Braille displays using
 polymers , but the refresh rate is currently a sticking point, but who
 knows, if a research lab was involved in a new design, then perhaps this
 limitation could be overcome.

 Best regards

 Dave