A Curious Thing Happened After Printing A Document

  • From: "Pam Drake" <pamdrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 01:23:16 -0700

This message almost appears off-topic, but it does involve the Optacon, so I
am asking for thoughts.

 I created a document and printed it out before attaching it as a label to a
padded envelope.  Before attaching it I wanted to check it.

I have two Optacons; my original R1D and an R1C I was given by an old
friend.  Both have recently been checked and battery packs replaced by
Richard Oehm, and have given me no cause to doubt their function.

Both Optacons showed the printing as nothing much more than a blob.  With
the R1D I could read the label after turning the threshold down very low.

I printed another page as a test to see how it would read.  Results were
worse.

Dave and I each scanned both these pages in our scanners; one an HP and the
other an 'Epson.  Neither read.

I had to go to the store with our cleaning lady and so left the project for
a while, certain I would have to have her hand-write the check I was
planning to give her.  I asked her to look at the test page.  Though it
could be read with neither the Optacon nor the two scanners, she was able to
read it.  I decided to print her check and it was perfectly readable.

I did not have her read the label, but tried printing it again.  This time
the label was crystal-clear with both Optacons.  I mailed the package.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  I was all ready to replace the
cartridge in my printer; but the last two prints were fine.  I wonder if
printer cartridges wear unevenly.  This cartridge has been in use for quite
a while.

I suppose I should check each page from now on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pam
Skype name and amateur callsign ka2rqk